Awards and Honors
HONORARY MEMBERSHIPS AND AFFILIATIONS:1976 Honorary Life Member, New York Academy of Sciences
1989 Honorary Fellow, International Congress on Fracture
1972 Board of Editors, Journal of Engineering Fracture Mechanics
1973 Member of Advisory Board, Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics
1997 Board of Editors, International Applied Mechanics
AWARDS and GRANTSLenin Komsomol Prize 1971 (State Award)
NSF Grant # MSS 9224936 for ''Mechanics of Quantum Fracture'' (1992 - 93), $33,200.
NASA Grant # 59204 for ''Theory of the Motion of Meteor Particles in Solid Materials'' (1992 - 95), $311,551. Two investigators.
AFOSR Grant # 59107 for ''Residual and Thermal Stresses in Thin Films and Interconnects (1994 - 96), $43, 973.
U. S. ARO Strategic Defense Command Grant for "Structural Improvement of the Ground-Based Radar Systems Using Advanced Materials'' (1994 - 97), $1,441,411. Five investigators.
PUBLICATIONS AND TEACHING ACTIVITIESDr Cherepanov has authored ten books and more than 300 peer-refereed research papers published in 18 Russian and 12 American journals. Under the supervision of Dr. Cherepanov, 21 postgraduates have received Ph.D.'s, and 6 postdoctoral Sc.D.'s.
In FIU Dr. Cherepanov has delivered 16 different courses on mechanics, materials, engineering and applied mathematics for graduate and undergraduate students. About 130 BSs, near 150 MSs and 4 Ph.Ds have been educated on these courses.
In more details, his biography has in recent years, been elucidated in the following reference books:
* Marquis Who's Who in the World, 11th and other Editions
* Marquis Who's Who in America, 47th Edition
* Marquis Who's Who in Science and Engineering, 1st and other Editions
* Marquis Who's Who in the East, several Editions
* Marquis Who's Who in the South and Southwest, several Editions
* Men of Achievement, 16th Edition. International Biographical Center, Cambridge, U.K.
* Men and Women of Distinction International Biographical Centre, Cambridge. U.K.
* International Man of the Year 1992/93, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge U.K.
* American Men & Women of Science, A Reed Reference Publishing Co.
* The International Directory of Distinguished Leadership, Fifth Edition, American Biographical Institute
* Five Hundred Leaders of Influence, American Biographical Institute
* 2000 Outstanding Scientists of the 20th Century, International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, U.K. and other Editions.
PROFESSIONAL HONORS during his work in FIU :
- Southwest Mechanics Lecture series in Southwest research
Institute, Rice University, University of Houston, Texas A & M University
and Tulane University (October 1991)